Saturday, February 19, 2011

Carnitas soup


This is a sneaky leftover recipe for our carnitas...

ingredients:
leftover carnitas
1 white onion
1 large tomato or 2 small ones
1 can of diced green chiles
2+ cups chicken broth
olive oil or butter

for serving:
cilantro
limes
cheese
tortilla strips
tapatio

Peel and seed the tomato. To peel the tomato, bring some water to boil in a sauce pan, and boil the tomato quickly, 1-2 minutes, until the skin of the tomato breaks. Pull from the water, the skin should come off easily. Quarter the tomato and scoop out as many seeds as possible... doesn't have to be perfect. Give the tomato a quick dice and set aside.

Dice the onion and brown it in a heavy pot with either some olive oil or butter. Push onions to the side of the pot and add the carnitas, so they fry over the hottest center part of the pan. After the pork is heated up and slightly browned, add the green chiles and stir everything together. Add the diced tomato.

After the mixture is heated through, add the chicken stock. I usually add 2 cups first, and see how much more liquid it needs... depends a lot on how much pork you added and how big your onion was. You can also add a little water if you don't want it to be straight stock. It should be, you know, soupy.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately with lots of garnish.

To make the fried tortilla strips, just slice a tortilla into long pieces and fry in veggie oil. You don't need a ton of oil, a frying pan will do for this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://aroundtheworldandinourkitchen.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this carnitas widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes with carnitas,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete