Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Seafood Platter



This started as a joke one morning and its now the second time we're doing it in two weeks. One of the those meals that just says, "I'm a grown up and I can eat whatever I want for dinner".

Serves two

Ingredients

Caesar Salad (We just got one of those bags. What do you want from us on a school night?)
1/2 pound shrimp
Old Bay seasoning
1/2 pound tuna (1 steak)
Dozen Oysters
1 Snow Crab Cluster

For the sauces

Tataki for Tuna

Cocktail sauce for shrimp. Ketchup + Horseradish (how much depends on how horsey you want it). Sprinkle paprika, a little hot sauce, squeeze of lemon juice. Pepper.

Butter for crab

Mignonette for Oysters

Preparation

Oysters. I'm gonna let Andrea take this one. I've tried shucking oysters twice and both times resulted in me screaming profanity and giving up.



You need an oyster knife, a towel or two, and possibly a scrub brush. There are two places we get oysters around here, and from one of them, the oysters come really dirty. And since I haven't figured out how to shuck them without getting a ton of sand in the liquor, I've realized its easier to clean them off before I start.

The only real trick to opening an oyster is finding the sweet spot, hehe. If it doesn't open immediately, you're not doing it right. You shouldn't have to fight it open. It should pop open, and then you may have to pry the top shell a little.

Crab. Steam it for 5 minutes or until warm. Done.

Shrimp. Add 1-2 tablespoons of old bay to pot of water and boil. Add Shrimp and boil for 3 minutes or until pink and firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment